Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First day of summer vacation


We celebrated the first day of summer vacation by having Gandhi (my husband Abe's official nickname) play hookey from work. I played hookey from the project as well, and we took the kids to the local "Farm Country" attraction. Goats, chickens, strutting turkeys and wagon and pony rides. All within 5 minutes of our house. Yes, there are real farms nearby as well, but the kids liked the displays. They were really interested in the "space basil." Local junior gardeners are growing basil from seeds that went up in space and comparing its growth rates to some NASA has growing on the space station.
Also of interest was the pizza garden. I bought a copy of Roots, Shoots, Buckets, and Boots a couple of years ago. Looks like they're finally old enough to enjoy some of the activities in it. After very late snows, it finally looks like the weather is going to be nice so I'd better hurry and get some plants into the ground if we're going to have a garden this year. We do square foot gardening so the kids can help a lot.

I did get the rest of the bones filed and inserted into the interlining and the felt pad stitched so I'm ready to assemble the bodice today.

I leave you with important advice from my 3 year old son. "You need 2 apples to take to space, so when the aliens steal one you still have a snack." Good tip, I know I'll keep it in mind.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE his advice. I'll remember to always pack two. LOL

    ReplyDelete