Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cut the bodice

I'm hoping to have more to show by later today but figured I'd post now in cas, e I didn't get around to it. The kids and hubby all have colds so sick may push back the sewing. I've also got to go get some chalk or pencil for marking since mine has mysteriously disappeared. I'm going to blame my 3 year old for that.

I'm using red canvas for my interlining layers and had hoped to have a large enough piece of red felt so that all of the inner bits were red. I'm not sure why I cared, but eh. The red wool felt I had made wasn't large enough so I went with some green commercial stuff I'd gotten on clearance. $2.99 a yard! Its a 80/20 rayon and wool rather than the 100%, but I followed a tip I got years ago from my friend Dannielle/Princess Nimble Thimble and washed and shrank it. I used to make children's toys from wool what seems eons ago and this isn't the first time I've thrown a load of wool felt in the washer with boiling water and tennis balls. It thickens up nicely after a wash or two and starts to look and feel more like the all wool stuff. A quick iron and steam smooths it out for cutting.

Did some significant standing on the chopines. Its slow, but it is shaping them. I'm far too impatient and just want to get on with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment