Monday, August 6, 2012
Waffling about some of the details,but the ruff is done
So, that's the old news. In new news, my big standing ruff is complete, just needs to be set. This is my first try at doing a ruff according to authentic methods rather than theatrical and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm in the midst of cartridge pleating the matching shoulder ruffs to complete the suit of ruffs. I finished the accompanying partlet yesterday. It has a bit of a neck ruffle itself and is made from embroidered organza and I attached little plaques/bezants down the front as in this and several other portraits. (Just to insert thanks in here, I've spent hours at Angela Bacci's site, Starlight Masquerade lately. Her collection of late period inspiration portraits is wonderful. ) The ruffs are also organza, with linen neckbands.
Still far too much left to do, and yet I find myself not managing time well. I'm having a hard time buckling down into the teeny finishing details, as evidenced by the fact that the cappotto STILL isn't complete. Ah well, at least I have a wearable dress at this point. Hopefully, I'll finish the shoulder ruffs tomorrow and perhaps stitch the eyelets on the sleeves that are keeping me from declaring the dress done. Or maybe I'll spend another day looking at hairstyles as I did today, trying to figure out how to adapt Victory Roll tutorials into Venetian horns.