Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Partlet and ruffs
I decided I really loved the metal bezants that were along the edge of many of the late Venetian partlets and I needed some. I had a bunch of little gold findings that are a 5 lobed flowers made of hearts that I decided fit the bill, and I topped each with a glass pearl.
The partlet itself is just a basic mostly rectangular shape cut off my body block. I used an embroidered organza that already had a shaped edge and cut the front to use that for the inside edge. I gathered a simple ruffle into the neck and finished it off with ribbon ties under the arms.
tutorial The organza didn't want to cooperate, however, even when I used hair spray rather than starch as was recommended. I went back in an put a thin line of 32 gauge wire in in order to shape them, but it still doesn't give the look I want. I'm going to need to play a bit more with the main ruff before Solstice in December when I want to wear these. A rubatto or suportasse may be needed. I certainly need to practice my settes. I totally understand why a good laundress was prized in the 16th century.