Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Interesting lacing detail


My husband's favorite painter is Caravaggio. I would like to say that is the reason I was intrigued by this painting; Judith beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio dated 1598, located in the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica, Rome. It is a fabulous painting with the deep contrasts. I'd like to say that. Honestly though, I like it because of the interesting lacing detail of her bodice.

Anyone else have the issue of the extra fullness of a camicia being held up only by the tightness of bodice lacing? I try to do mine nice and full and, as a result, have the problem seen in many portraits. If the bodice isn't fully tight, the camicia is exposing all kinds of important bits. Judith has her open bodice unlaced and has the laces stretched across holding up the camicia. Seems like a practical sort of thing to do. Wonder if that is at all influenced by the probably model? Fillide Melandroni, the Roman courtesan, probably posed for Judith. Random thought, but I love the little bows on the pearl earrings as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment