Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Really, I'm working

Sorry for the lack of updates.  I've been buried in other projects and the ones I've finished I have (of course) forgotten to take pictures of.  I'm currently making garb for this weekend.  I'm attending Baron's War to see my friend Noelle/Serafina's elevation to the Order of the Laurel.  It also happens to be a fabulous excuse to run away and leave my kids home with my husband.  I haven't left them overnight since I was 3 months pregnant with my soon to be 4 year old.  I'm rather unabashadly giddy about some time by myself.  I do not, however, have anything to wear.  The twins are a bit of a handful and we've only been in the SCA for about 2 years, so I've never done more than daytripped to a camping event.  So now I'm marathon sewing and trying to get 4 sets of Persian garb done.  It sort of makes sense.  My husband's persona is Persian and we've always planned to do Persian for summer since Rus isn't condusive to 100 degree temps what with all the fur.  So far I have the shirts and pants all done and am making coats.  I know I should have more than one coat per ensemble, but with the rush, I'll have to add more later.  Just trying to get the minimum done now.  I have 2 of the coat shells sewn and all 4 coats and linings cut.  Lots to do, but they are assembling quickly.  I've got headdresses figured out and most of a braid case made, but may have to settle for just a basic kerchief.  I couldn't get the felt slippers done that I would have preferred, so I'll be wearing my Medieval Moccasins sandals that I have to go with my tribal belly dance stuff (I used to dance in a belly dance troupe.)  They're comfy and not glaringly terrible, despite being inaccurate.  One day I will get nifty slippers with turned up toes made for me and the rest of the family.

Speaking of slippers, I did get some leather bought to make my slippers for the IRCC dress.  I got a good deal on a nice red pigskin. ($2 a square foot) and couldn't pass it up.  The plan is to do a really soft slipper with cutouts to expose a gold lining.  I've done children's versions of this slipper, but this will be the first attempt in an adult size.  Fingers crossed that I get to them.  I'm putting my nose back to the grindstone on Tuesday and plan to start crossing things off the to-do list in rather short order.  The finish line is so close!

No comments:

Post a Comment