Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Muse for a Masked Ball? Maybe

I'm seriously considering making this.  It is a costume sketch for a Muse by Bernardo Buontalenti from the spectacle that accompanied a comic play called "La Pellagrina performed at Ferdinando de Medici and Christine of Lorraine's wedding in 1589.

Complex set pieces with mythological subjects are accompanied by madrigals.  The video below is the first of 8 from a modern production if you feel like checking it out.  The music is gorgeous.

The dress is a heck of a lot of fun.  Not to mention the fact that it is orange (my favorite color.)  There's a Masked Ball up in the middle part of our Kingdom in January and I'm really tempted to go.  I don't dance much, but an excuse to make something silly is awfully tempting.  And there are tassels at the hem.  How can I resist tassels?



No comments:

Post a Comment